Sunday, February 25, 2007

Bjørndalen

The Bjørndalen student cabin

From Saturday to Sunday we went to the Bjørndalen student cabin. "We" were Gemma, Duncan, Johannes (who had stayed behind from the group that were there before us), Charlotta, Sebastian, Juho, Pekka, Hilde, Helle, Sanna, Kine and I.

Dinner time

Sebastian and Sanna made a really nice dinner for everyone, with lots of chicken and vegetables and rice - that was very much appreciated!

Getting the kettle clean with ice-water...

Doing the dishes was not so easy, as the water took such long time to melt on the coal fired stoves. So some of the dishes were done with ice-water... :)

Johannes entertaining us with guitar-playing and singing

The rest of the evening we just relaxed in the couches, playing the guitar and games.

The skiers

We went home in different groups, two separate ski groups (in addition to Sanna who had left early to go to work today) and a scooter group which was Pekka and Juho on their scooter (they have bought the same type of scooter as Hilde and I) and Kine and me on my scooter.

The scooters

The weather has been really wonderful lately, so we have very nice views nowadays when there is so much daylight. Also, the nighttime is nice, since we can see so many stars when we're in areas not affected by the light pollution in Longyearbyen. The fact that the moon also doesn't show up for more than approximately half of the month (this I don't understand, but it seems as though the moon is below the horizon for quite a bit more time during each month than I'm used to from back home, up here... for instance, I didn't see the moon once during my first two weeks here! It might be that some of the mountains are in the way, but still I don't really get it), also makes it easier to see the stars :)

Nice views as we were going home :)

No comments: