Saturday, February 3, 2007

Igloo

Last night, after the usual "Friday gathering" (social get-together for students and staff at UNIS, to celebrate the start of the weekend), we went to Huset to continue the party there. There is a jazzfestival going on up here these days, called "Polar Jazz", and we had a live blues band from Denmark entertaining us most of the evening.

Me, Sebastian and Helle

It is getting so much brighter every day now. The picture below was taken yesterday. It is very nice to now be able to see the mountains across the fjord from Longyearbyen now. When we first arrived here it was impossible to tell what was there...

View from the entrance of my barrack

We started making an igloo today! I dreamt about making one just outside our barrack, and I got a few people keen on the idea. Luckily some of them had done it before, so they know a bit on how to do this :) It's starting to look quite nice, but we still have the most difficult part, the roof, left... I'm hoping we'll be able to finish it tomorrow! Then we can sleep in it one of these days :D

Holger, Sanna, Nicolai and Sebastian

Now I'm off to another birthday party in barrack 13!

Holger, Stefan, Sebastian and the finished igloo!

1 comment:

Christina said...

It looks beautiful up there, you are very lucky to be able to experience it! Hehe, I must say though that your world is very different from mine: Here in the Netherlands it is as warm as springtime in Norway. And I tried to get together a skiing trip in Europe this weekend, but Europe lacks snow!!